Be a part of the ecosystem of support for all who serve and help to connect others
The Be Connected program is a statewide initiative to strengthen access to support and resources for the 500,000+ service members, veterans and their families who call Arizona home.
Be Connected launched in 2017 with one team member. The program is now expanding to a team of 30+ in communities statewide.
Be Connected Goals
Through three components – call, match and learn – the program works toward the following goals:
- Reduce deaths by suicide in Arizona’s population of service members and veterans.
- Build upon existing capacity and strengths within our service systems, adding a new layer of coordination and support.
- Demonstrate effectiveness and develop a sustainability plan that builds program components into systems and funding.
Be Connected Components
There are three parts to the program:
- CALL – A support line that anyone can call, including service members, veterans, family members, helpers, and providers.
- MATCH – Help and support to navigate to the right resources for each person or family’s situation.
- LEARN – Training, including in-person and online options, to equip everyone with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to help.
Be Connected is implemented on behalf of the military and veteran community in partnership with public and private sector stakeholders. The Leadership Partners represent different sectors (military, government, and community) and work closely together to build upon existing community strengths to create the most effective program possible. State partners include the Office of the Governor, Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services and AHCCCS. Community partners include TriWest Healthcare Alliance, Crisis Response Network and Community Bridges, Inc. The participation of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs includes the Phoenix VA Health Care System, the Northern Arizona VA Health Care System, the Southern Arizona VA Health Care System and Regional Benefits office.
The program was created in coordination with the Office of the late Senator John McCain. He and his team were instrumental in having Arizona designated as a pilot program site under the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act, which established the foundation upon which Be Connected was built.
If you are interested in becoming a Be Connected Partner Organization, please submit the Be Connected Partner Organization Pre-Application.
To learn more about Be Connected, visit the Be Connected website.