The DoD SkillBridge program is an opportunity for service members to gain valuable civilian work experience through specific industry training, apprenticeships, or internships during the last 180 days of service. SkillBridge connects service members with industry partners in real-world job experiences.
Career Skills Program – DoD SkillBridge for Service Members
SkillBridge is a Department of Defense authorized program that allows service members with command approval to complete career skills training at approved civilian companies within the last 180 days of their military service. Service members continue to receive military pay and benefits as if they were actively working within their unit.
Steps in the SkillBridge Process for Service Members
- Get started today! Complete a SkillBridge inquiry form*
- View Career Connections on Career Navigation’s YouTube Channel
- Attend our virtual career orientation*
- Participate in our Career Readiness Training
- Apply for certifications/credentialing (when applicable)
- Connect to available SkillBridge Opportunities using a targeted resume*
- Pre-screen / Interview with employer (if selected)*
- Seek Command and Education/Transition Center approval*
Please note – This process can take 6-8 weeks or longer depending on the Arizona SkillBridge Opportunity
*Denotes required steps
Employers interested in providing SkillBridge opportunities to transitioning service members
The Arizona Coalition for Military Families coordinates a statewide SkillBridge program under the Memorandum of Understanding between Arizona military installations, the Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services, Arizona Department of Economic Security and the Coalition. Under the Memorandum of Understanding, the Coalition engages Arizona Veteran Supportive Employers (a voluntary designation) to develop SkillBridge opportunities. The Coalition provides no-cost support to candidates from inside and outside Arizona to match to SkillBridge opportunities and access supportive services.
Steps in the Employer Approval Process
- Complete the application to become a partner: AVSE Form
- Attend our Arizona Veteran Supportive Employer Training webinar ONLINE (via Zoom). There is no cost for the training but please register in advance. There is no limit to the number of attendees per company, but we ask that everyone registers individually. Register online: Registration for AVSE training
- Schedule a date/time to have a 30 min consultation with a member of our employer engagement team on the Arizona Veteran Supportive Employer and Arizona SkillBridge programs.
- Once approved as an Arizona Veteran Supportive Employer, submit your SkillBridge opportunities online to be published on our Be Connected website.
- Connect with candidates!